Thursday, January 24, 2008

Obsessive Compulsive

I have an obsessive personality - but only to a point. I grab onto an idea, a place, a person, a feeling and run with it...and then wait for the inevitable disappointment and boredom. My life, it seems, is one big bell curve.

A few years back I was out and out addicted to Tetris. Now, I consider myself as someone who likes to try new things, but even so, I would spend hours in front of the computer playing and playing and playing. I was so obsessed I began to hear the chant "go wiz kid" in the music. No, really.

For me, there is a fine line between passion and mind numbing boredom. I was a passionate violinist for a few weeks - that was until I discovered the violin has no frets and therefore is very difficult to play; an aspiring Irish dancer, until I discovered it to be an inane and pointless exercise, and now I am lead to here and here.

The first 'here' being my name- I mean, really?! But I have decided that my new 'thing' will be hula hooping. I saw a brilliant hooper at an even more brilliant Sufjan Stevens concert in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and was hooked. According to my husband, hooping is sexy in a not too slutty way or "like pole dancing without the pole" ?!. But the truth is I want a party trick and a nickname- and it seems that a cute name is quite mandatory - so hooping and its associated bonuses are my first big project for the year. And the other 'here', brings me to this whole blog thing.

I've wanted to impart my wisdom in the form of Hello to Modern Living for some time, had dragged a few friends in for the ride, got a couple of folders together of excellent material and then found that I had absolutely no idea how to do the whole web page set up thingy (see I can't even verbalise what I mean!) so the folders remained in the bottom of the coffee table drawer for years. But then a friend had a new years resolution to set up a blog and I thought "well if he can do it..." and so here it is, my current obsession: Hello To Modern Living. Like all of my obsessions it may fizzle out within a week or two, or go on to become intrinsic and core and wonderful (to me). But only time will tell...

If you would like to see the blog that started it all )for me) go to ben-vanishingpoint.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Ben McLaughlin said...

Hey Mand! Nice to see you are nerding it up too! Thanks for the kind words, though I'm not sure that 'if HE can do a blog..'is really a compliment..But hey, it's probably similar to me saying 'if SHE can get her liscence..':) Definately understand the temporary obbsession thing-- we are probably similar in that way. I seem to crank through hobbies much faster than I would like to; get hugely passionate about something and then get really dissapointed when the passion innevitably wains after a couple of months. Anyway, keep posting...